My running blog

Sunday, April 09, 2006

S April 9, 2006

Time: 5:20 pm Temperature: 48° Precipitation: drippy but not windy
Length: 82 minutes- 7+ miles
Route:
House to MP 1: walked
MP 1 to MP 2: 11:28
MP 2 to MP 3: 12:13
MP 3 to MP 4: 11:22
MP 4 to MP ?: 6:36
MP ? to MP 4: 6:19
MP 4 to MP 3: 11:30
MP 3 to MP 2: 11:13
MP 2 to MP 1: 11:01

Dogs: 1 Other Joggers: 2 Cyclists: 1
Eagles: 0 Dead Mice: 1 Banana Slugs: 30 Great Blue Heron: 1 Seagulls and Ducks: countless.

So here is the deal with my numbers. I set out for a 7 mile run, 3.5 miles out and 3.5 back. The first three went fine but then I couldn't find the mile marker so I turned around after 6+ minutes. I found the marker 45 seconds after turning around. 6:36+6:19-1:30=11:25 which is consistent with the 11:28 average of the other 6 miles. I felt pretty good on the run so maybe I shouldn't worry too much about my legs. There is a group of women trying to put together a pick-up soccer game. I am thinking of using this as my cross training if it fits into my work schedule.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like anyone can post a comment that has nothing whatsoever to do with running. My post may read something like:

That's interesting! My brother had a similar experience with a UFO when he was writing poetry on a mountain in New Mexico. He made over $5,000 selling his work to the aliens.

But back to reality. Good news that you ran 7 miles comfortably. You are a full-fledged novice! Another thing you can try and do instead of focusing on the time of each mile is, in your next 4-mile run, to focus on your perceived effort of each mile. In other words, I do my first mile at a pace that feels like a 1.0 (out of a 6-point effort scale with 1 being the easiest and 6 being the hardest), the 2nd mile at a 1.5, the third at a 2.0, third at 2.5, and fourth at 3.0. That will probably translate into similar time decreases but the benefit is that it helps you to focus on your effort (which is affected by weather, mood, general health, etc.) as opposed to time (one minute is one minute no matter what day it is...). This will help you become more "in tune" with your body and keep you from being a slave to your watch. It's important to run within yourself, not within your watch! (although the watch can be an effective tool to help you become more in touch with your inner athlete).

Clearly, I need to go home....

I await details of your next run.

2:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home